Did you know that not hiring a wedding videographer is one of the top five regrets married couples have?
Go ahead and Google it and see for yourself.
Some couples who did hire a videographer regret not allocating more of their budget towards a higher quality professional, especially after seeing the end result.
Your wedding day is one of the most important and memorable days of your life. You want to capture every moment, every emotion, every detail. But how do you choose the best way to preserve your memories? Do you need a videographer or not?
Many couples struggle with this question when planning their wedding. They wonder if a videographer is worth the cost, if they will enjoy watching their wedding video, if they will regret not having one, or if they can rely on their photographer or guests to take videos. These are all valid concerns, and there is no one right answer for everyone.
In this article, I’ll explore some of the most common questions couples have when trying to decide to hire a videographer or not for their wedding. I’ll also share some tips and advice I’ve learned from my 15 years of experience in creating beautiful and meaningful wedding films.
By the end of this article, you will have a better idea of what a videographer can offer you, and whether or not hiring one is right for you.
Is Wedding Videography worth it?
Having a wedding videographer is important because it allows you to relive your special day in a way that photos alone cannot. A wedding video can capture the movement and sound of your wedding, the emotions and expressions of you and your guests, and the moments that you might have missed or forgotten.
A wedding video can also be easily shared with your loved ones, especially those who could not attend your wedding in person. It’s a priceless treasure that you can cherish for years to come. Here are some of the benefits of wedding videography in more detail:
- Movement and sound: A wedding video can record the sights and sounds of your wedding, such as your vows, your first kiss, your first dance, the speeches, the music, and more. You can hear the laughter, the applause, the tears, and the cheers of your wedding day. You can also see the movements, the gestures, the hugs, the kisses, and the dances of you and your guests. A wedding video can bring your wedding to life in a way that photos cannot.
- Emotions: A wedding video can capture the emotions of your wedding day, both yours and your guests. You can see the joy, the love, the surprise, the excitement, and the gratitude on your faces. You can also feel the emotions that you experienced on your wedding day, such as the nervousness, the happiness, the relief, and the pride. A wedding video can tell the story of your wedding day, from the preparation to the celebration, and show how you and your guests felt throughout the day.
- Moments: A wedding video can capture the moments of your wedding day, both the big and the small ones. You can see the moments that you were part of, such as the ceremony, the reception, the cake cutting, and the bouquet toss. You can also see the moments that you might have missed, such as the arrival of your guests, the reactions of your parents, the antics of your bridal party, and the fun of your guests. A wedding video can show you the full picture of your wedding day, and help you remember all the details that made it special.
- Shareability: A wedding video can be easily shared with your loved ones, both online and offline. You can upload your film to platforms such as YouTube or Vimeo, and share it with your friends and family on social media. You can also create short clips or teasers that you can send to your guests as a thank you or a reminder of your wedding day. You can also watch your wedding video on your TV, your computer, or your phone, and relive your wedding day anytime you want. A wedding video can help you connect with your loved ones, and make them feel like they were part of your wedding day.
Is Videography Necessary for a wedding?
How would you like to relive your vows again with your partner’s reaction to every word? A photo can’t capture the sincerity, the emotion, and the promise in your voice, but a video can.
If your grandparents had a video from their wedding would you watch it?
Having a wedding video is like having a time capsule not just for yourselves but for future generations of your family. Hiring a wedding videographer allows you to relive your special day and experience the emotions and reactions as if it were happening all over again.
They capture not only the visuals but also the sounds, speeches, and laughter, making it a comprehensive memento of your wedding day. Especially when they take all of those visuals and sounds and create a highlight video that tells the story of the event.
What are the benefits of hiring a professional wedding videographer?
Looking back on their wedding day many married couples say how it felt like it all went by in the blink of an eye.
From the moment you say “yes” to the proposal, the journey towards your wedding day is an emotional rollercoaster. Excitement, anticipation, and perhaps a touch of nervousness all come together to create a whirlwind of emotions.
As the day itself unfolds, these feelings intensify, causing time to seemingly slip through your fingers. Every heartfelt exchange, every tear of joy, and every laughter-filled moment merge into a beautiful blur of emotion, leaving you with cherished memories but also the sense that it all went by too quickly.
One of the key advantages of hiring a professional wedding videographer is the ability to relive your wedding day all over again and quite possibly see things you had forgotten. A skilled videographer knows how to capture the emotions and reactions of the couple, their families, and the guests.
From the exchange of vows to the first dance, every moment is documented, ensuring that no precious memory is lost.
“It’s hard to put in words how amazing and talented this man is. He created something so beautiful and unique that we get to relive again as a married couple and with our four year old daughter who was also apart of our day. Now we have a little boy on the way who will also get to see our special day.”
“My husband is in the army and was deployed overseas not long after our wedding. During that time my daughter and I got to watch our highlight video over and over and what a beautiful comfort that was. Since then and the safe return of my husband earlier in the year we have it watched our wedding many times over. It has brought my husband and I that much more closer reliving that day again.“
Wedding videography is an ever-changing field mostly in part due to the tools that we have available. We can use techniques such as drone shots, slow-motion and creative editing to enhance the visual appeal of your wedding video. We also have the best methods and tools to professionally capture your vows and speeches. The result is a beautifully crafted film that tells the unique story of your love and celebration.
How do I find the best wedding videographer?
To ensure that your wedding video meets your expectations, it’s essential to find the best wedding videographer that suits your needs. Here are some tips for finding the right professional on the Gold Coast:
- Research: Start by researching local wedding videographers and reading reviews. Personally, I like to keep my Google reviews updated so future couples can read about the entire experience my past couples have had with me. If a videographer (or any business for that matter) doesn’t have reviews enabled or has no reviews to be seen that should be a sign to keep searching.
- Recommendations: Seek recommendations from friends, family, or other wedding vendors who have had positive experiences with videographers. For example, I team up with the same photographers quite often because our styles mesh so well and so do our personalities.
- Portfolio Review: Take the time to review the portfolios of different videographers. Look for their style, storytelling ability, and overall quality of work. This will give you an idea of their artistic vision and whether it aligns with your preferences.
- Communication and Personal Connection: Reach out to potential videographers and have a conversation with them. Communication is key to understanding their approach and ensuring they understand your vision. A personal connection with your videographer can make the experience more comfortable and enjoyable. After all, we spend most of your wedding day with you so having some chemistry is important.
There are many styles of videography, such as cinematic, documentary, storytelling, artistic, etc. Each one has its own advantages and disadvantages, depending on your preferences and budget.
To choose the right style for you, you should do some research and watch some samples of different videographers. You can also ask them about their approach, equipment, editing, and packages.
But more than that, you should also choose a videographer that you have chemistry with. You want someone who can make you feel comfortable, relaxed, and happy on your wedding day. Someone who can capture your emotions and personality in a natural and authentic way. Someone who can have fun with you and your guests, and make your wedding experience more enjoyable.
What to expect on your wedding day from your videographer?
There are obvious things a videographer captures like your ceremony and reception, but what about all of the incredible, spontaneous things that make a great wedding day even more memorable?
Here are a few examples of what I’ve seen:
- During a ceremony, the celebrant surprised everyone by hilariously roasting each member of the bridal party with all the juicy information given to him by the bride and groom. The crowd was in stitches and the mother of the groom even snorted. Which made everyone laugh even more.
- The bride let her “puppy” Rosie, a massive Bernese Mountain dog, wander freely during her outdoor ceremony at her home. Only to have Rosie suddenly decide it was play time as she tackled the bride right before her vows.
- A shy page boy slowly entered a ceremony but when he saw his dad (the groom) he excitedly ran up the aisle to him, gave him a high five, and then threw the ring cushion in his dad’s face. The place erupted in laughter.
- The moment the grandmother of the bride made a surprise speech but instead told a dirty joke that brought the house down (this went viral on YouTube).
A videographer can capture all these moments and turn them into a wedding film that you can watch and enjoy for years to come. A wedding film that will make you laugh, cry, and cringe. A wedding film that will show you how amazing your wedding day was, or how hilarious it was. Either way, it will be a wedding film that you will love.
On a serious note, one thing to keep in mind is that every videographer may capture your day differently and some may not record your entire ceremony or all of your speeches. We do. So make sure to ask if having these things are important.
Is having just a wedding photographer enough?
You might think that having a photographer for your wedding is enough to capture all the memories of your big day. After all, they can snap hundreds of photos of you and your guests, and create a beautiful album for you to cherish. But let me tell you a secret: photos are not enough.
Photos can only capture still images, not movement or sound. Photos can’t show you how your partner looked at you when you walked down the aisle, or convey the emotion in their voice when they said their vows.
A videographer can capture all the things that photos can’t, and create a film that tells the story of your wedding in a way that photos never could. A videographer can make you feel like you’re back at your wedding, experiencing it all over again. A videographer can give you a gift that photos can’t: a time machine.
So don’t settle for just photos. Hire a videographer and get the best of both worlds.
Remember that hilarious speech your best friend gave at your wedding? The one that made everyone cry with laughter and applause? Well, you can relive it anytime you want with a video and even share it with those who couldn’t make it to the wedding.
What if you could see your grandparents’ sweet dance moves, your cousin’s epic cake smash, or your niece’s adorable flower girl walk again and again? A video will let you enjoy all the fun and memorable moments of your wedding that you might have missed or forgotten.
Is your dad normally pretty soft-spoken but at your reception he gave the most touching speech ever?
Having a wedding videographer preserved it for you.
Why Having A Wedding Videographer is important
I know from talking to so many couples (and their families) over the years that many have never had to hire a professional videographer before and may not know what to ask.
When you hire me as your wedding videographer, you’re not just getting someone to film your day. You’re getting an amazing experience from start to finish.
I’m not just a wedding videographer, I’m a storyteller. I’m here to capture your love story in the most authentic and creative way possible. I’m here to make you feel comfortable and confident in front of the camera. I’m here to make you laugh and have fun on your wedding day. I’m here to deliver a wedding film that will exceed your expectations and make you cry happy tears every time you watch it.
Your wedding day is a day that you will remember for the rest of your life, and having a high-quality wedding video to look back on will transport you back to that magical day every time you watch it. I’m a wedding videographer who is passionate about creating films that not only capture the moment but also tell your unique love story.
Have questions or would like to know more? Feel free to reach out by sending me an email or by giving me a call.
“Geoff you are a complete and utter treasure and the world is so lucky to have someone like you in it. Our family will NEVER forget the kindness and love you had for us, people you had never met.
For anyone looking for the most beautiful person to create your wedding magic for you – do not look anywhere else! You have found him!” – Jo Scanlon