If you’re a bride planning your wedding you’ve probably read tons of advice from wedding magazines, blogs, and Facebook groups. However, there are some wedding ceremony tips only an experienced wedding videographer can give you.
I have filmed over 600 weddings and I have seen what makes a ceremony truly unforgettable and magical. In this article, I will give you some insider tips on how to plan your wedding ceremony like a pro, and how to avoid some common mistakes.
Whether you want a traditional or a modern ceremony, a religious or a secular one, a formal or a casual one, I have some advice so you can make the most out of your wedding ceremony and elevate your experience not just for you, but for everyone involved.
The Bridesmaid’s Entrance
Let’s start with the bridesmaids. Those fabulous accomplices in the grand wedding production. Much like the leading lady herself, they play a pivotal role in the matrimonial extravaganza. Their procession down the aisle is more than just a stylish strut; it’s a profound statement of devotion. Yet, here’s the twist that elevates this parade to an art form: they must sashay in one by one, and here’s why:
A brigade of bridesmaids entering together would surely overwhelm even the most seasoned photographers and videographers. It’s like trying to capture a bouquet of fireworks in a single frame. By letting them take their solo turns, you gift these visual maestros the time they need to immortalize every radiant grin, every elegant dress, and every rollercoaster of emotions. It’s not just about aesthetics; it’s about celebrating the distinct personalities and bonds within the bridal clan.
Imagine a paparazzi frenzy where the stars are all bundled up too closely – a recipe for chaos. It’s the same with bridesmaids. Spacing them out ensures that each lovely lady gets her well-deserved moment in the spotlight. It’s like a choreographed dance where each step is meticulously planned, and each participant shines.
Now, think of it as a theatrical masterpiece. The bridesmaids, like characters in a play, enter one by one, each with her unique backstory and role. It’s a slow unveiling of the supporting cast, building suspense and anticipation. The audience leans forward in their seats, eager to see who’s next in this captivating procession.
wedding ceremony tips for the Bride’s Grand Entrance
Consider slowing the pace
The bride’s walk down the aisle is one of the most memorable moments of a wedding. It is the culmination of months of planning, preparation, and anticipation. It is also the moment when you make your grand entrance and reveal your stunning bridal look to your groom and guests.
However, many brides are tempted to walk into the ceremony too quickly, either because they are nervous, excited, or a bit eager. This can make their walk seem rushed and possibly less meaningful.
To avoid this, you should slow down and savor every step of your walk down the aisle. You should take deep breaths and relax your shoulders. You should smile and make eye contact with your groom, your family, and your friends. You should appreciate the beauty of your surroundings, the music, and the flowers. You should also remember that this is your special day and you deserve to enjoy it fully.
By walking into the ceremony at a leisurely pace, you can create a more lasting impression and a more emotional connection with your groom (remember it’s not just about you!). You can also capture better photos and videos of your walk, which you can cherish for years to come.
Walking into the ceremony slowly is not only a tip for you but also a gift to yourself. It is a way of honoring your journey to marriage and celebrating your love story.
Enter to a different song than the bridesmaids
The song that plays as a bride walks down the aisle can have a significant impact on the mood and emotion of the event. Choosing a different song than the one used for the bridesmaids can help to create a sense of anticipation, contrast, and uniqueness for the bride. Here are some reasons why it’s a good idea for the bride to enter the ceremony to a different song than her bridesmaids:
- It elevates the moment. The bride is the star of the show, and she deserves a special song that reflects her personality, style, and vision. By changing the song when she appears, she draws attention to herself and makes everyone focus on her. The music can also enhance the feeling of excitement, joy, and awe that she and her guests experience.
- It creates something even more meaningful. The song that the bride chooses can have a personal significance for her and her partner. It can be a song that reminds them of their first date, their proposal, or their love story. It can also express their hopes and dreams for their future together. By choosing a different song than the bridesmaids, the bride can convey a message that is unique to her and her partner.
- It adds variety and interest. Having the same song play throughout the entire processional can make things feel a bit monotonous. By switching up the songs, you can create a dynamic and engaging musical experience for your guests.
You can also use different genres, tempos, and instruments to match the tone and theme of the wedding. For example, have a classical song for the bridesmaids and a modern song for yourself, or vice versa.
The Hidden Gem of Wedding Ceremony Tips: Mic up Dad
Obviously for many fathers, walking their daughter down the aisle is a moment they have anticipated for years (my daughter is only young and I’ve already thought about it!). They’ve seen their daughter grow, offered guidance and support, and now, they get to escort her into a new phase of her life.
As a videographer, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen a father and daughter have a chat as they enter the ceremony together. I’ve always wondered what is said in this brief, but important moment and then it finally hit me:
Put a microphone on Dad!
Here are some reasons why this is such an awesome idea:
- It preserves a priceless memory for the bride and her family. The father-daughter chat is something that the bride and her father will cherish forever. By having a microphone on the father of the bride, you can ensure that their words are not lost or forgotten. You can also give them a copy of the audio as a gift, allowing them to relive the moment anytime they want.
- It surprises and delights the viewers. The father-daughter conversation is usually not heard by anyone else except them. By including it in your video, you can surprise and delight the viewers with a unique and touching perspective. You can also use it to create contrast and suspense, building up to the big reveal of the bride.
- It captures a moment that the bride and her dad might not even remember. The father-daughter walk is a very emotional and nerve-wracking moment for both of them. They might be so overwhelmed by their feelings that they don’t even remember what they said to each other. By having a microphone on the father of the bride, you can record their conversation and help them recall their special exchange later.
- It can add depth and intimacy to the video. By recording this moment, I can create a more personal and authentic video that showcases a father and daughter’s bond. I can also use the audio as a voice-over for your video, adding another option for narration and emotion to the visuals.
Of course, this can apply to anyone who has the honor of accompanying you down the aisle. Not just the father of the bride.
Have Your parents switch sides
When it comes to arranging your guests at a wedding, most folks stick to the tried-and-true formula of the bride’s team on one side and the groom’s squad on the other. But why not add a dash of pizzazz to your big day?
Picture this: your family is strategically seated on the opposite side of the aisle from where you’ll be standing. It’s like a wedding plot twist, and it can spice up your nuptials in more ways than one.
Firstly, it’ll give your family a front-row seat to your radiant face as you exchange vows. No more awkwardly craning necks or staring at the back of your head. This means they’ll be right there, soaking in the love and joy radiating from your expressions. Cue the waterworks and heartwarming moments.
Secondly, it’s a fantastic icebreaker for your families. What better way to encourage mingling and bonding than by strategically placing them on opposite sides? It’s like a social experiment, but with fewer lab coats and more champagne flutes. Creating a harmonious and festive atmosphere is a snap!
Lastly, think of the aesthetics! Balanced and beautiful photos and videos are all the rage. Having a blend of colors and styles on both sides of the aisle will turn your wedding into a visual masterpiece. Your photographer and videographer will thank you for this stroke of genius.
How Your Grandparents Can Make Your Wedding Ceremony Extra Special
What better way to sprinkle a little extra stardust on your wedding day than by enlisting your grandparents as the chief witnesses to your love story? It’s like giving them front-row seats to the blockbuster of your life, and trust me, they’re the true VIPs.
By letting Grandma and Grandpa sign on that marriage certificate dotted line, you’re saying, “You guys are the OGs of our hearts.” It’s a power move that screams, “We don’t just love you; we legally endorse it!”
And let’s not forget the wisdom and history they bring to the table. These folks have seen it all, and they’re like the Gandalfs of your relationship, sharing their epic tales of love and offering sage advice.
So, if you’re in the market for a wedding idea that’s unique, sentimental, and bound to make your grandparents’ hearts do a happy dance, invite them to be your official witnesses. This memory will be the icing on the wedding cake of their lives, and they’ll cherish it forever.
Related Article: 9 Awesome Wedding Ceremony Ideas
Photos in this article courtesy of Ben & Hope Photography